Updated:December 29, 2015
How does teen dating violence compare to adult domestic violence?
Teen dating violence is similar to adult domestic violence in several ways:
- Both teen dating violence and adult domestic violence affect people from all socio-economic, racial, ethnic, and religious groups;
- Both occur in heterosexual relationships as well as LGBTQ relationships;
- Both tend to show patterns of repeated violence, which escalate over time;
- Both tend to display violent and abusive behavior interchanged with apologies and promises to change;
- Both tend to show increased danger for the victim when s/he is trying to terminate the abusive relationship; and
- Both men and women, or girls and boys, can be the abusers or the victims.