WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

About Abuse

Information for Teens

December 29, 2015

How do I end the relationship?

Unfortunately, leaving an abusive relationship does not mean that the danger has ended.  Sometimes, you may need to involve the legal system such as the police or the courts.  For example, you may be able to get a restraining order from civil court (without involving the police) to keep your abusive boyfriend or girlfriend away from you.  In some situations, the abusive person may even have to switch schools in order to follow the terms of the restraining order.  You can read more about how a restraining order can help you on our Restraining Orders page - just enter your state in the drop-down menu to read information that is specific to your state.  In some states, your parent or guardian may have to file the order for you - in other states, you can file it on your own. 

Also, the website loveisrespect.org has some tips on how to break up safely and things to think about when ending an abusive relationship.