WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
May 17, 2013

Can I become a lawful permanent resident if I hold an asylum status? What are the requirements?

Yes.  If you hold an asylum status, you may apply for your lawful permanent residency one year after being granted asylum if you:

  • Have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year after being granted asylum;
  • Continue to meet the definition of an asylee (or continue to be the spouse or child of such an asylee);
  • Have not abandoned your asylee status;
  • Are not firmly resettled in any foreign country; and
  • Continue to be admissible to the United States, although a waiver may be available to you if you are deemed to be inadmissible.*

In order to file for adjustment of status to become a legal permanent resident, there are many forms that you need to file.  As in any other immigration proceeding, it is always recommended to speak with a lawyer who can help you to file the correct documents.  To find a list of legal resources in your area, please see Finding a Lawyer and select your state or see our International / Immigration page.

* See 8 CFR § 209.2; see also USCIS website “Green Card for an Asylee”