WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
May 6, 2013

Do I need a lawyer to apply for a T-visa?

It is very important that you work with an attorney (or initially with an advocate) familiar with T visas. The forms and laws are confusing and you may make a mistake or leave something out that results in USCIS denying your application.  Because applicants who are unlawfully present in the United States are subject to removal (deportation) if their applications are denied, we strongly encourage you to contact an immigration attorney before filing an application.  To find an immigration attorney, see our International/Immigration listings under National Organizations and / or our Finding a Lawyer page for a lawyer near you.