WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
January 30, 2018

I think I may be eligible. Should I go to my local USCIS (Immigration) office?

No.  Local USCIS offices do not process U visa status applications, nor does ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement).  Like VAWA, all U visa applications are processed by a specially trained unit in Vermont.  There are no interviews; everything is done by filing papers. Going to USCIS or ICE in person without an attorney with you may result in your removal (deportation).  Most local offices and ICE have not been trained on U visas and may not give accurate advice.  Moreover, if you have any existing immigration issues, going to them may result in your deportation, not help you in applying for status.

In all cases, you should consult with an immigration expert with experience in U visas.  S/he can help you figure out if you are likely to qualify for this or any other form of immigration relief, and if there is a risk of being put in removal proceedings (being deported).  To find help, please go to the Immigration page in our National Organizations section.  You can also find the contact information for general legal services organizations, not immigration-specific, and referral services to private attorneys here: Finding a Lawyer.