WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
August 15, 2019

Which government officials and agencies may be able to provide the law enforcement certification that is required?

As explained throughout this section, one requirement for getting U visa status is that you must have a certification from law enforcement or another certifying agency that you “have been helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution” of one of the categories of crimes listed in the U visa statute. The law enforcement agency has the discretion whether or not to sign your certification, they may run a background check on you before they sign, and they can withdraw their support at any time.1

The following officials and agencies may be able to provide the U visa status certification:

  • federal, state, or local law enforcement agencies;
  • prosecutors;
  • judges; or
  • other authorities that are responsible for the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. This includes agencies that have criminal investigative authority in their respective areas of expertise, such as Child Protective Services, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and the U.S. Department of Labor.2

Note: Here you can see our series of vlogs (videos) in Spanish, with English subtitles, where we discuss what is a U visa, what are the requirements to get a U visa and what crimes qualify someone to get a U visa, among other related topics.

1 See the U Visa Law Enforcement Resource Guide issued by the Department of Homeland Security
2 8 CFR § 214.14(a)(2)