If my self-petition is approved, what can I get?
Depending on each case, once your self-petition is approved, you may be able to apply for some of the following things:
- Deferred action: This means that Immigration will probably not try to remove (deport) you until you are able to apply for legal permanent residence.*
- Work authorization: This means permission to work legally in the country – it is often called a “work permit.”**
- Some public benefits:*** Please consult with an attorney who is familiar with public benefits for immigrants to determine what benefits you might qualify for.
- Legal permanent residence status: For more information, see If my self-petition is approved, when can I apply for legal permanent residence status (green card)?
* See 8 CFR § 274a.12(c)(14)
** INA § 204(a)(1)(K)
*** See generally National Immigrant Justice Center website – VAWA Self-Petition Flow Chart