What is the legal definition of a "sex offense"?
A “sex offense” can be defined as any of the following:
- when someone forces you to have sexual intercourse* or “deviate sexual conduct” (i.e., oral or anal sex; or penetration with an object):**
- by force or an immediate threat of force;
- when you are unaware that the sexual intercourse is occurring; or
- when you are so mentally disabled or deficient that you cannot consent to sexual intercourse (including if you are drugged without your knowledge);
- child molestation (of a child under 14);
- sexual misconduct with a minor (which involves sexual contact with a child between the ages of 14 and 16;
- child seduction (which involves sexual contact with a child between the ages of 16 and 18);
- vicarious sexual gratification;
- fondling in the presence of a minor;
- child solicitation;
- sexual battery; or
- communication with a child concerning sexual activity.
You can click on each link to read the definitions of these crimes on our IN Statutes page.
* IC § 35-42-4-1
** IC §§ 35-42-4-2 and 35-31.5-2-94