How can a WVRO protect the victim?
A WVRO can order the abuser to:
- stay away from you and your family/ household members;
- stay away from your home, work, school, vehicle, child’s school or daycare, or other location;*
- not commit further unlawful violence against the victim or her family/household members;
- not commit "credible threats of violence" against the victim or her family/household members.** Note: Credible threats of violence” include:
- Following or stalking the employee to or from the employee's place of work.
- Entering the employee's place of work.
- Following the employee during the employee's work hours.
- Making telephone calls to an employee during the employee's work hours
- Sending correspondence to an employee by postal mail, interoffice mail, fax, or electronic mail.***
* See "Petition of employer for injunction prohibiting violence or threats of violence against employee," available at the Indiana Courts website
** IC § 34-26-6-8
*** IC § 34-26-6-1