WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Maryland

Restraining Orders

View all
November 10, 2020

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

You can call the police and/or file a petition for contempt in court even if you think it is a minor violation. It could be a crime and contempt of court if the abuser knowingly violates the order.1 A judge can punish someone for being in contempt of court. In addition, the police can arrest him/her depending on the violation. If the police witnessed the violation or have probable cause to believe the violation occurred, the police are supposed to arrest him/her.2 If the police are not involved or do not arrest him/her or file a criminal complaint against him/her, you still may be able to file a contempt complaint against him/her in court.3

If the police do respond to your call, it might be a good idea to write down the name of the responding officer(s) and their badge number in case you want to follow up on your case.

1 See MD Code, Fam. Law § 4-508
2 MD Code, Fam. Law § 4-509
3 MD Rule 15-206(b)(2)