WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Restraining Orders

View all
March 26, 2018

Is the restraining order still valid if I move?

Your order is good wherever you go in Oregon. Additionally, the federal law provides what is called "Full Faith and Credit," which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands. Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. To find out more information about your new state’s policies, go to Know the Laws and choose your state from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen. Under the Restraining Order section, you will find information about “Enforcing an Out-of-State Order.” 

You may want to have your address changed officially by the court. However, if your new address is confidential from the abuser, be sure to ask the clerk how to keep the new address confidential from the abuser if s/he checks the court records for any reason. Check with a local domestic violence organization for more help.

If you are moving to a new state, you may want to call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) for information on enforcing your in your new state. They might be able to tell you if the new state requires you to register the order with that state and other useful information.  However, before registering the order, you should make sure that the new state will not notify the abuser that you are living there if this will be unsafe for you.

Keep in mind that if your order includes an order about custody or visitation of a minor child, you may have to give notice to and seek permission from the court and/or the abuser of your move, depending on what your order says and the laws in your state.  Please speak to an attorney for more information.  You can find legal referrals on our OR Finding a Lawyer page.