WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information

Filing Appeals

April 4, 2018

Where can I find more information online about filing appeals?

The American Bar Association has more information about the appeals process. There are also websites that have information about filing appeals in specific cases - for example, About.com has an article about filing an appeal in a divorce. Please note that WomensLaw.org has no relationship with these websites and cannot vouch for the information contained on them. We provide these links for your information only.

What other options are there?

Instead of appealing, in some cases, you may be able to request a modification of the court order.  To request a modification of a court order, you will likely need to show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that has happened since the order was issued.  You will need to go back to the court where your order was issued and file modification forms.  There will probably be a new hearing on the issue.  You  may also want to consult with an attorney to see if filing for a modification is appropriate under the circumstances of your case.