WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Religious

Jewish Get Law (Divorce Law)

Updated : 
March 12, 2010

What if a husband refuses to give his wife a “get”? What can she do?

If your husband refuses to give you a get, speak to your rabbi. He or she may be able to convene a beit din and issue a seruv against your husband. Your rabbi may also be able to get the community to pressure him to give it.  You may also want to contact one of the organizations listed here, who assist agunot. These organizations provide women with legal counsel and with therapists trained to help victims of domestic abuse.  You can also read the section above about what kinds of actions a community can take against a mesarev get. You or other members of the community, may be able to get the community to take the actions described against your husband.

However, you may want to talk to a domestic violence advocate before participating in any community actions to try to make a plan that will keep you safe from your husband.

You can find advocates in your area at the Places that Help tab at the top of the page under Advocates and Shelters.  You can find tips on how to make a safety plan to keep yourself safe from an abuser at our Staying Safe pages.