WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Indiana

Restraining Orders

View all
May 24, 2016

Can I get my order for protection from Indiana enforced in another state?

Yes. If you have a valid Indiana order for protection that meets federal standards, it can be enforced in another state. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which is a federal law, states that all valid protection orders granted in the United States receive "full faith and credit" in all state and tribal courts within the US, including US territories.* See How do I know if my protection order is good under federal law? to find out if your order for protection qualifies.

Each state must enforce out-of-state orders for protections in the same way it enforces its own orders. This means that if the abuser violates your out-of-state order for protection, s/he will be punished according to the laws of whatever state you are in when the order is violated just as s/he would be if s/he violated an order of protection issued by the state you are in. This is what is meant by "full faith and credit."

* 18 U.S.C. § 2265