WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oklahoma

Restraining Orders

View all
April 25, 2018

What happens if I move?

Your stalking protection order is good everywhere in the state of Oklahoma and in all other states.* Federal law provides what is called "full faith and credit," which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands.**

Different states may have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. You can find out about your new state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program (if the stalker is an intimate partner) or the Stalking Resource Center. You may also try calling the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in the area you are moving to or by calling the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2).

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page

* 22 O.S. § 60.7
** 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a)&(b)