WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oklahoma

Restraining Orders

View all
April 25, 2018

What is the National Crime Information Center Registry? Who has access to it?

Before moving to Oklahoma, the state that issued your protection order may already have entered your order into the NCIC.
The National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC) is a nationwide, electronic database used by law enforcement agencies in the U.S, Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is managed by the FBI and state law enforcement officials.

All law enforcement officials have access to it, but the information is encrypted so outsiders cannot access it.*

* See the FBI website

How do I register my protective order in Oklahoma?

You do not need to register your order in Oklahoma in order for it to be enforced.*  However, if you want to register your protection order, you can give a certified copy of the order (certified by the issuing state) to:

  • the Secretary of State of Oklahoma; or
  • a law enforcement officer and ask him/her to register it with the Secretary of State of Oklahoma.

Once the Secretary of State registers the protection order, you will get a certified copy of the registered order. There is no fee for registering your protection order.**

If you have questions, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Oklahoma for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on the OK Advocates and Shelters page.

* See O.S. § 60.23 22
** O.S. § 60.25(A),(B),(F)

Do I have to register my protective order in Oklahoma to get it enforced?

No. Oklahoma state law gives full protection to an out-of-state protection order (even if it has provisions that would not be allowed on an Oklahoma protective order). It can be enforced by a law enforcement officer as long as you can show the officer a copy of the order and can truthfully tell the officer that you believe the order is still in effect. The order does not have to be entered into the state or federal registry in order to be enforced by an Oklahoma police officer, but the officer does need to believe that it is a valid (real) order.* It can also be enforced by a court in Oklahoma if you file a court action for enforcement.**

* 22 O.S. §§ 60.9(D), 60.12(A)
** 22 O.S. § 60.23

Will the abuser be notified if I register my protective order?

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies to all U.S. states and territories, the court is not permitted to notify the abuser when a protective order has been registered or filed in a new state unless you specifically request that the abuser be notified.*  However, you may wish to confirm that the clerk is aware of this law before registering the order if your address is confidential.

However, remember that there may be a possibility that the abuser could somehow find out what state you have moved to.  It is important to continue to safety plan, even if you are no longer in the state where the abuser is living.  We have some safety planning tips to get you started on our Staying Safe page.  You can also contact a local domestic violence organization to get help in developing a personalized safety plan. You will find contact information for organizations in your area on our OK Advocates and Shelters page.

* 18 USC § 2265(d)