WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Restraining Orders

View all
March 26, 2018

Step 1: Go to the courthouse and get the petition.

Go to the circuit court in the county where the abuse occurred, where you live, or where the abuser lives. Find the civil court clerk and ask for a petition to apply for a restraining order. The form you will need is called "Petition for Restraining Order to Prevent Abuse (Family Abuse Prevention Act)."

You can find links to petitions online by going to OR Download Court Forms.

Note: You, the person filing the complaint, are the “petitioner.” The person against whom you are filing against (the abuser) is the “respondent.”

When you go to the courthouse, remember to bring some form of identification. It is also helpful to bring identifying information about the abuser if you have it such as:

  • a photo;
  • addresses of residence and employment;
  • phone numbers;
  • a description and plate number of the abuser's car; and
  • any history of drugs or gun ownership

You can find a court near you by going to our OR Courthouse Locations page.