WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Wyoming

Restraining Orders

View all
November 17, 2020

Can I have my out-of-state order of protection changed, extended, or canceled in WY?

No. Only the state that issued your order of protection can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Wyoming.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  Find out if this is possible in your state by calling the court that issued your order. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the “How to Get a Restraining Order” page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Wyoming, you may be able to get a new one issued in Wyoming but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Wyoming. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Wyoming, visit our WY Domestic Violence Orders of Protection page.